Saturday 1 August 2015

Travels of a Navigator, 4th Class: The Final Straw

Today we go home. A simple journey: just head for the M4, the Severn Bridge and the M5 southwards. It's so easy, right? What could possibly go wrong?

The narrow roads, villages and roadworks are easy. We've done this bit of the journey several times - and Michael requires no navigation at all. I relax; I let down my guard; I throw the map over my shoulder onto the back seat.

We come to the roundabout leading to the M4. We have two choices: towards London or towards Cardiff. Now, I know we don't live anywhere near London, so we can't possibly want to go that way, can we? 'Cardiff,' I say with conviction.

Okay, so it's a motorway with lots of junctions, and it doesn't take too long to find somewhere to turn around and head back in the opposite direction; but it is the final straw. I resign my navigator's badge; next time, I'm going to drive!

[I hope you've enjoyed this little excursion into Wales. There won't be a blog on Monday, but I will be posting daily interviews from the Swanwick Writers' Summer School, starting next Saturday, 8th August.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment