Monday 6 October 2014

Review Round-Up

[Two short reviews for the price of one this month: one brand new book and one that’s been out for a couple of years; I gave them both five star reviews on Amazon.]

Magic Sometimes Happens by Margaret James

Rosie is the latest member of the Denham family to have her story told by Margaret James. She meets Patrick Riley while visiting a friend in America, and is immediately attracted to him, an attraction that is mutual. But there are many obstacles in their path, both from his present life and her past. And, like all Choc Lit books, we see both sides of the story, with alternate chapters narrated by Rosie and Patrick. This is another 'curl up with a hot chocolate' book, a great follow-up to The Wedding Diary, not least because we get to meet Fanny and Casper again, plus my favourite Denham, Cassie. Anyone who has read any of Margaret's earlier books will know what to expect; if you are new to her writing, you are in for a treat.

This Holey Life by Sophie Duffy

This is the story of Vicky-Love (as her mother calls her) and her chaotic, selfish, loveable family. Somewhat reluctant curate’s wife, who thought she was marrying a plumber, she is mother to teenager Rachel (too old for Disney), toddler Olivia (way too wise for her age), baby Imogen - and Thomas, always in the background and often in the forefront of her mind. She is also sister to Martin, aunt to Jeremy, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law and friend. I found myself wanting to alternatively shake and hug Vicky and I suspect many readers will recognise elements of themselves in her behaviour; I know I did. I loved this book and there is one moment of pure joy, when I found myself cheering out loud. I’m not going to tell you where it is, but you’ll recognise it when you get there.

[If you would like to read an extract from my new novel Gorgito's Ice Rink, click here. To enter the Goodreads Giveaway, click here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment