Monday 12 January 2015

Elizabeth Chats With...Editor Des

[I'm very excited about this month's interview, which is a first in a number of ways. It's the first this year; it's my first overseas guest; it's the first time I've entertained an editor; and it's the first time I've interviewed a bear. No, not that bear; this one's even more special. I am delighted to welcome Editor Des, all the way from Australia.]

Good morning, Editor Des, tell us something about yourself, your life or your work. 

At work in Frog Hollow
Hello. Thank you for interviewing me, dear Miss Elizabeth. I am the world’s youngest editor…well I might be!  I am nearly 15. My guardians are the author Pauline Conolly and her husband Dr Bob. My main work involves correcting Pauline’s mistakes in her blogs (she makes a lot!). Sometimes I write my own stories on her website. Very good stories too, if I might say so. I like to work outside on my ipad if it isn’t raining.

What would you have printed on the front of your tee-shirt?

I would have Dr Bob’s mobile number on my tee-shirt because sometimes Pauline leaves me behind when we are travelling. The worst time  was when I was left in a hotel near Tower Bridge in London. By the time Dr Bob came back for me (10 train stops) I was already on the cleaner’s trolley. So frightening!

Working on the biography
Talking about yourself, how would you finish the sentence “Not a lot of people know…”?

Not many people know that I am an author as well as an editor and blogger. I am working on an unauthorized biography of Pauline. The research is such fun, especially finding her old school reports…hahaha.

With English friends by the Thames
What is your favourite place on earth – and why?

Hmmm…I have quite a few special places, but in your country I love the river Thames. Pauline wrote a book about it so we have spent lots of time wandering along its banks and having picnics.

If you knew you only had 24 hours left, how would you spend them?

Well, that’s a bit of a sad thought, but it’s only pretend, isn’t it? I would quickly add all the embarrassing bits about Pauline that I haven’t had time to put in the biography yet. Then I would wrap up the manuscript and send it to a publisher. 

What is your earliest memory – and how old were you at the time?

I remember going to New York about thirteen years ago, when I was still a baby. I went for a carriage ride through Central Park in the snow. Pauline and I both had fur coats on, but hers was only fake fur and mine was real! 

There is a saying: to make the punishment fit the crime. Which character from fiction would you like to punish – and  how? 

On Dr Samuel Johnson't chair
Ooh, it would have to be Paddington Bear, because I am so jealous of his fame. Pauline says it’s wrong to be jealous, but I can’t help it. I dream of filling his wretched wellington boots with muddy water! Whenever we go to Paddington station, I feel a bit sick.

If you could meet one person from history, who would it be – and why?

Dr. Samuel Johnson, because I’m an editor and because his big dictionary is the best one in the whole world. I visited his house in London and Pauline helped me look up some interesting words. AND…I even sat on Dr. Samuel’s chair!

I do love a little nap!
How do you relax?

I like to sit in our garden in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales smelling the flowers. And I like to take little naps now and again, especially after Dr Bob makes me play football! In fact, I might close my eyes for a few moments right now.

Thank you Editor Des for taking time from you busy schedule to talk to us. All I can say is: move over Paddington, there's a new bear in town.

You can find out more about Editor Des and read his stories on Pauline Conolly's websiteEditor Des has his own Facebook page and would love lots more likes so he can catch up with 'you know who'.

5 comments:

  1. Love this interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roland; I'm sure Editor Des will respond in a little while, but I think he's still having a nap at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Hi Elizabeth. I had trouble getting Des's jumper over his swollen head yesterday! Then he had a little drink to celebrate, hence his long nap. Glad you enjoyed his interview Roland, though I am a bit concerned re that biography!

      Delete
  2. Hello, Editor Des here. I've been on a wee spree. I loved my interview Elizabeth. I've since met a lovely lady who read it, and also a frog! I notice I wrote county instead of country, but I'm only an apprentice so please forgive me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice that, Des; my fault for not checking it properly; I'll get it changed. Glad you enjoyed being interviewed. You've had lots of hits on the site and loads of retweets on Twitter. E x

      Delete